Though rooted in our historic past, the story of the FAMCC really began when local government operations moved into a newer municipal building in 1982. At that time, a group of community leaders came together to preserve the historic Town Hall/ Market House. Through their efforts, the FAMCC was chartered by the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1985, establishing the first Board of Directors and the Town Hall Committee that same year. Fredericksburg residents began donating items to be preserved even before the Museum officially opened. The first item donated to the Museum was a Fredericksburg currency note, dated 1861. Since that first gift, more than 3,000 objects have been donated to the Museum by supportive area residents recognizing the value of the region’s heritage.
Today, the FAMCC stewards a collection spanning more than ten thousand years of area history, from a c. 8,000 BC Clovis point to materials from the 2004 Embrey Dam demolition. The Museum’s holdings include textiles, photographs, household wares, and portraits. The Museum actively strives to fulfill its role of responsible stewardship through increased accessibility, both physical and electronic, to the collection in order to inform and educate those who seek an understanding of their past and its relevance to today.